Open Access Subscription Access
A Comprehensive Simulation Study on the Multicast Operation of the AODV Routing Protocol for CBR Traffic in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks
In certain applications of MANETs like handling emergency operations, the group communications play a crucial role which demands for multicast routing. Moreover, it is known fact that the on-demand reactive routing protocol AODV is very much suited for the mobile ad-hoc environments. Hence, the multicast routing protocol MAODV (multicast extension of AODV) is considered, to get the benefits of using a single protocol for both unicast and multicast routing. In this paper, MAODV is examined for its multicast routing behavior under various mobility patterns in order to check its suitability for dynamic environments of MANETs, for CBR data traffic. The work is done by varying various multicast routing parameters such as number of multicast receivers per group, number of multicast senders per group and number of multicast groups in a network scenario. Further, a special case where the number of receivers is equal to the number of senders in a multicast group (conferencing) is also simulated for exploring the protocol’s multicast routing behavior thoroughly. The performance of the protocol is analyzed in terms of the QoS evaluation metrics such as packet delivery ratio, average end-to-end delay, average jitter, throughput and normalized routing load. From the graphs, it is observed that the MAODV works well in MANET environments. Moreover, the benefit of multicast routing is clearly visible in terms of increased throughput and reduced routing loads irrespective of the experiment set.
MANET, MAODV, Mobile Ad-Hoc Network, Multicast Operation of the AODV, Network Simulation.
- C. Kopp, "Ad Hoc Networking," Systems Journal, pp. 33-40, June 1999.
- R. Ramanathan and J. Redi, "A brief overview of ad hoc networks: challenges and directions," IEEE communications Magazine, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 20-22, May 2002.
- C. Siva Ram Murthy, and B. S. Manoj, Ad hoc wireless networks: Architectures and protocols. Pearson education, 2004.
- M. Ilyas, The handbook of ad hoc wireless networks. CRC press, 2003.
- Magnus Frodigh, Per Johansson, and Larsson Peterson, "Wireless ad hoc networking: the art of networking without a network," Ericsson review 4, no. 4, pp. 249-263, January 2000.
- C. de Morais Cordeiro and D. P. Agrawal, "Mobile ad hoc networking," Center for Distributed and Mobile Computing, ECECS, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, pp. 1-63, 2002.
- I. Chlamtac, M. Conti, and J. J. N. Liu, "Mobile ad hoc networking: imperatives and challenges," Ad hoc networks, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 13 -64, July 2003.
- J. Hoebeke, I. Moerman, B. Dhoedt, and P. Demeester, "An overview of mobile ad hoc networks: applications and challenges," Journal of the Communications Network, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 60-66, July 2004.
- M. Conti, and S. Giordano, "Mobile ad hoc networking: milestones, challenges, and new research directions," in IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 85-96, January 2014.
- E. M. Royer, and C. E. Perkins, "Multicast operation of the ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing protocol," proceedings of the 5th ACM/IEEE international conference on Mobile computing and networking, Washington, USA, pp. 207-218, August 1999.
- Saini Trilok Kumar, and Subhash C. Sharma. "Recent advancements, review analysis, and extensions of the AODV with the illustration of the applied concept," Ad Hoc Networks 103, 2020.
- Lavanya. Poluboyina, Sivakumar Reddy. V, Mallikarjuna Prasad. A, "Evaluation of QoS Support of AODV and its Multicast Extension for Multimedia over MANETs", International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol.12, no.1, pp.13-19, 2020. DOI: 10.5815/ijcnis.2020.01.02.
- W. Al Mobaideen, H. M. Mimi, F. A. Masoud, and E. Qaddoura, "Performance evaluation of multicast ad hoc on-demand distance vector protocol," Computer Communications, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1931-1941, June 2007.
- S. K. Debnath, M. Saha, M. Islam, P. K. Sarker, and I. Pramanik. "Evaluation of Multicast and Unicast Routing Protocols Performance for Group Communication with QoS Constraints in 802.11 Mobile Ad-hoc Networks," International Journal of Computer Network & Information Security, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-15, February 2021.
- W. Werapun and K. Thavornvisit, "Performance Comparison of TCP and CBR in MAODV Ad hoc Network," 2007 Second International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications (ICSNC 2007), pp. 4-4, August 2007.
- X. Chen, Q. Zhong, and D. Liu, "An improved MAODV protocol based on mobility prediction and self-pruning flooding," 2009 WRI International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 2, pp. 127-131, January 2009.
- B. O. Vida Lashkari, and M. DeAhghan, "QoS-aware Multicast Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing," Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, WCE 2007, London, UK, pp. 1506-1511, July 2007.
- H. Tang, F. Xue, and P. Huang, "MP-MAODV: A MAODV-based multipath routing algorithm," 2008 IFIP International Conference on Network and Parallel Computing, pp. 296-301, 2008.
- Y. Jia, and Y. Hu, "Improvement of Wireless Multicast Routing with Link State Based on MAODV," 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, pp. 1-5, 2008.
- Weiliang Li, and Jianjun Hao, "Research on the improvement of multicast Ad Hoc On-demand Distance Vector in MANETS," 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE), vol. 1, pp. 702-705, 2010.
- X. Li, N. Gaowa, and M. Yang. "Improved MAODV link repair technique for group team communication in MANET," 9th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), pp. 1023-1028, 2013.
- X. Li, T. Liu, Y. Liu, and Y. Tang, "Optimized multicast routing algorithm based on tree structure in MANETs," China Communications, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 90-99, February 2014.
- M. Elizabeth-Royer, "Multicast ad hoc on demand distance vector (MAODV) routing," IETF Internet Draft, University of California, Santa Barbara, July 2000.
- C. E. Perkins, and E. M. Royer, "Ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing," Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, New Orleans, LA, pp. 90-100, February 1999.
- C. Perkins, E. Belding-Royer, and S. Das, "RFC3561: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing," RFC Editor, USA, 2003.
- Sajata V. Mallapur, and Siddarama R. Patil, "Survey on simulation tools for mobile ad-hoc networks," International Journal of Computer Networks and Wireless Communications (IJCNWC), vol. 2, no. 2, 2012.
- G. Chengetanai, and G. B. O'Reilly. "Survey on simulation tools for wireless mobile ad hoc networks," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Communication Technologies (ICECCT), pp. 1-7, 2015.
- K. Fall, and K. Varadhan, The ns-Manual (formerly ns Notes and Documentation), The VINT project 47, pp. 19-231, January 2005.
- Network Simulator 2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- Y. Zhu, and T. Kunz, “MAODV Implementation for NS-2.26,” Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, Tech. Rep. SCE-04-01, 2004.
Abstract Views: 15
PDF Views: 0