Formulation and Sensory Acceptability of the Formulated Protein Enriched Chapatti
Major segment of population use chappati as it is rich in micronutrients. Plant-based protein sources are cheap to meet protein demand and increases the dietary quality at all levels. The main aim of this project is to enrich protein in chapatti with pulse flour at four variations (10, 20, 30 and 40%). The pulse flour was added in the ratio of 1:1 (green gram: cowpea) increased gradually to improve the nutritional value of chapattis. Yield percentage, cost and nutrient content were calculated for the formulated protein chapatti. Sensory evaluation showed that chapattis prepared from 30% incorporated flours were accepted by the panel members. The highly acceptable product (Variation III) provides 3g higher protein than control chapatti. Preparing value added products from inexpensive pulses and legumes which are available in our doorsteps can ensure meaning full utilization of goods to improve health status of the people.
- Peter R, Shewry C. Seed Proteins. Journal of Plant Physiology. 2000; 152:4.
- Aggarwal A, Drewnowski A. Plant and animal-protein diets in relation to socio demographic drivers, quality,and cost: Findings from the Seattle Obesity Study. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2019; 110(2):451–60. PMid: 31172179 PMCid: PMC6669134. https://doi.org/10.1093/ ajcn/nqz064
- Babio N, Bullo M, Basora J, Martınez-Gonzalez MA, Fernandez-Ballart J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Molina C, Salas Salvado’J. Nureta-PREDIMED investigators: Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and risk of metabolic syndrome and its components. Nutrition Met Cardiovasc Dis. 2009; 19:563–70. PMid:19176282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- numecd.2008.10.007 4. Shimelis AE, Rakshit SK: Anti-nutritional factors and in vitro protein digestibility of improved haricot bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) varieties grown in Ethiopia. Inter J Food Sci Nutr. 2005; 56:377-–87. PMid: 16361179. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480500512930
- Jarpa-Parra, M. Lentil protein: A review of functional properties and food application. An overview of lentil protein functionality. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2018; 53(4):892–903. https://doi.org/10.1111/ ijfs.13685
- Urbano G, Porres JM, Frías J, Vidal-Valverde C. Nutritional Value. S. S. Yadav, D. L. McNeil, P. C. Stevenson (Eds.). Lentil: An Ancient Crop for Modern Times. Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands. 2007. p. 47–93. https://doi.org/10.1007/9781-4020-6313-8_5
- Kumar A. Chapatis and related products. Encyclopaedia of Food and Health. 2016.
- Inglett GE, Carriere CJ, Maneepun S. (2005). Health related fat replacers prepared from grains for improving functional and nutritive values of Asian foods. J. Shi, C.T. Ho, F. Shahidi (Eds.). Asian Functional Foods. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker. 2005. p. 103–27.
- Rao M, Bharati P. Dough characteristics and chapathi making quality of wheat varieties. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Science. 1996; 9:562–4.
- Kadam ML, Salve RV, Mehrajfatema ZM, More SG. Development and evaluation of composite flour for Missi roti/chapatti. Journal of Food Processing and Technology. 2012; 3(1): 134–40.
- Gopalan C, Ramasastri BV, Balasubramanian SC, Narasinga Rao BS, Deosthale YG, Pant KC. Nutritive value of Indian foods: Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad, National Institute of Nutrition. 2011.
- Rehman S, Paterson A, Hussain S, Anjum Murtaza M, Mehmood S. (2007). Influence of partial substitution of wheat flour with vetch (Lathyrussativus L.) flouron quality characteristics of doughnuts. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2007; 40: 73–82. https://10.1016/j.lwt.2005.09.015
- Wani IA, Sogi DS, Sharma P, Gill BS, Yildiz F. (Reviewing Editor). Physicochemical and pasting properties of unleavened wheat flat bread (Chapatti) as affected by addition of pulse flour. Cogent Food and Agriculture. 2016; 2:1.
- Mekala M, Hymavathi TV, Aparna K, Sreedhar M. (2020).Development, physical and sensory evaluation of chapathi (Indian flat bread) produced by utilizing legumes, nutricereals and wheat flour. Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology. 2020; 39(18):68–76.
- Parimalavalli, Ramaprabha PM, Radhai Sri S. Nutrional and organoleptic evaluation of chapati incorporated with Stevia rebaudiana. Asian Journal of Home Science. 2008; 3(2): 202–4.
- Khaliduzzaman M, Shams-Ud-Din M, Islam MN. Studies on the preparation of chapatti and biscuit supplemented with potato flour. Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University. 2010; 8(1): 153–60. https://doi.org/10.3329/jbau.v8i1.6413
Abstract Views: 30
PDF Views: 18